A: Virginia State University (VSU) can help turn your dreams into reality. Founded on
March 6, 1882, VSU offers a variety of majors, beautiful campus grounds, and great facilities for academics, recreation and residential life. VSUs faculty members are experts within their respective fields who exemplify teaching excellences by challenging students through an integration of instruction, research, and public service. Students who attend VSU also enjoy personal attention by the faculty and staff not typically found at larger institutions. Through a challenging academic program, diverse student organizations and exciting extracurricular activities, Virginia State University encourages students to dream, explore and succeed.
Q: Why should you choose the Department of Hospitality Management at Virginia State University?
A: The Department of Hospitality Management is housed within the School of Agriculture. Our curriculum is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration (ACPHA), which proves that our program exceeds standards in educational quality. We invest in your future by developing group interaction and networking skills, leadership abilities and interpersonal dexterity that are essential for effective leaders. Our goal is that every Virginia State University Hospitality Management student graduates with a degree, but also the business skills, knowledge and experience required for long-term success in the world's number one industry; the hospitality industry. See below for the top 10 reasons you should consider a degree from the Department of Hospitality Management at Virginia State University.
10. Excellent and involved staff and faculty always willing to help.
9. Balanced curriculum, including a wide variety of classes.
8. Alumni and industry relationships and support.
7. Internship opportunities locally and worldwide.
6. Exciting career opportunities in hotels, restaurants, casinos, clubs and resorts.
5. Competitive beginning salaries.
4. Mentoring opportunities with other students.
3. Opportunities to travel to global destinations.
2. Networking opportunities through professional memberships.
1. Having the chance to learn the business in a fun environment, equipped to stimulate
the growth and development of the next generation of hospitality leaders…..You!!
Q: What exactly is the hospitality industry?
A: The hospitality industry consists of all business operations which provide for their customers any combination of these core services: Lodging Operations, Food service operations and other related services to consumers. Some representative categories directly related to hospitality management include:
- Lodging: all-suite hotels, casino hotels, conference centers, resorts, and retirement communities
- Food Service: commercial cafeterias, education food service, restaurants, health care, and caterers
- Other related services: airlines, campgrounds, city clubs, country clubs, cruise ships, national parks, hospitality corporate offices (i.e. marketing, accounting, public relations, technology)
Q: How do I declare a major within the Department of Hospitality Management at VSU?
A: The baccalaureate degree program in Hospitality Management will be pursued in two phases. At the pre-HM Phase, the freshman and sophomore level students are expected to complete some of the University general education requirements, and some additional program requirements. Admission requirements for the Pre-HM Phase are the same as the general admission requirements for the University.
After the successful completion of four semesters of study, the Pre-HM student is eligible to apply, through the Director of the program, for admission to the HM Phase. At the HM Phase, junior and senior level students will complete the upper-level requirements, including common body of knowledge (CBK) core course requirements and major requirements. Admission to the Hospitality Management Department phase requires the successful completion of the following requirements:
1. Completion of a minimum of (960) hours of industry experience in HMGT 299,349 & 399.
2. Completion of any developmental work as determined by the University.
3. Completion of all freshman and sophomore courses as printed on the curriculum sheet.
4. A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all courses taken at Virginia State University, and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all HM/Business required courses.
Q: How would you describe the curriculum?
A: The formal curriculum of the Bachelor of Science Degree in Hospitality Management is structured to provide students with a solid background in Liberal arts through
- General Education courses amounting to 45 credit hours
- Restricted and unrestricted electives in order to explore other areas of interest
- Three supervised internships to reinforce the application of classroom theory to the workplace
Additionally, certain classes demand specific interactions with industry in the form of on the job training and Practicum requirements; this is achieved through partnerships with local hotels, restaurants and related enterprises. Upon completion of the program, students will be academically well- rounded professionals, with the specialized knowledge, skills and competencies needed to thrive in the continuously changing hospitality environment.
Q: What types of degree programs do you offer?
A: We offer a Bachelor of Science in Hospitality Management with two concentrations:
1. Restaurant Management and Culinary arts
2. Lodging management.
There is also available a Minor in Hospitality Management for those students from other majors looking to explore the plethora of opportunities available within our industry.
Q: How large are classes in my major?
A: Class sizes typically range from 10 – 25 students which allow for each student to receive personal attention and experience a nurturing classroom environment.
Q: What student organizations may I become involved with as a Hospitality Management major?
A: The National Society of Minority in Hospitality (NSMH) is the premier professional organization for Minority Hospitality Students. They address diversity and multiculturalism as well as career development of the student members. The VSU Chapter has grown over the years and currently has a very vibrant chapter led students within the department.
Q: What types of jobs do Hospitality Management majors secure after graduation?
- Hotels and motels
- Recreational facilities
- School and college food services
- Health care facilities
- Resort hotels
- Food and beverage administration
Q: What are the starting salaries for graduates of the Hospitality Management Department?
A: The starting salary for a graduate in the hospitality management field can range from $28,000 to $40,000. Graduates who have progressed in their careers are reporting salaries of $50,000 to excess of $100,000.